Monday 28 December 2009

Christmas in the Fast Household

When I was a child I was always allowed to choose a gift to open on Christmas Eve. So, Cory and I have decided that we will continue this same tradition in our house too.

On Christmas Eve we went to visit with some good friends of ours. It was really a fun time, talking with them and laughing about silly things. They're really special people and fun to be around.

When we came home we opened our Christmas Eve gifts and it was late (and we're old, I guess) so we went to bed!

This year we decided that we would have a relaxing Christmas morning, instead of rushing round trying to get here, there and everywhere on time.

We hadn't set an alarm for the morning, and when I first woke it was still really dark outside, so I looked at my watch - it was only 6.15am! Too early to wake up Cory. So, I tried to go back to sleep, but I couldn't. At 7.15 I nudged Cory to test how sleepy he was and said "Merry Christmas!" He replied, "Merry Christmas" but he was still sleepy.... At 7.45 I couldn't wait any longer. I nudged him and said "It's Christmas, we have to get up!"

I have always loved Christmas, and the magic feeling it brings. It isn't about the presents but it's just a really special time of year... Don't get me wrong, the presents and the food are nice, but they're more a bonus... the cherry on top!

So, we settled into the couch and started opening our stocking gifts and it was really a fun and relaxing way to start the day!

Then we opened our gifts from each other. We had set a budget this year, and I'd spent it all on his main gift so I was excited to see if I'd chosen the right gift for Cory. I had, and he was really excited... and I was glad! I'd got him a North Face jacket, and not only did I not really know if it was the right style, but the sizing was a little weird too. I bought the size he usually gets in NF stuff but it looked huge when it arrived... It was perfect though and I was happy!
It would have been terrible if he only had one main gift to open and it wasn't the right thing! *Phew!

Cory did really good on my gifts too. He got me an awesome Brown Betty teapot which I adore and use all the time, and he also got me a beautifully framed photo from our wedding. It's a 20x30 and we put it up on the huge blank space in our bedroom, and it's more than perfect! He also got me some craft stuff and things from home. He's a real diamond geezer!

After opening gifts we called my Mum and Dad back home. It was great to talk to them and the boys too. Alfie said it "was the best Christmas ever, he got everything he had ever wanted". He's a sweet, sentimental little boy and even though he was sick with the swine flu he was having a fun time. Morgan was just so excited about everything, and it was great to hear the excitement in his voice as he explained about the gifts he'd got and asked if Santa had made it to our place.

Morgan was a little worried that Santa might not remember where we were, so he left a note out with the cookies and milk telling him not to forget about Me, Cory & Tittr here in Oregon. He's a real fun little guy, and looks out for his Auntie Mary!

After talking to them and calling some other family back home we made a yummy breakfast and got ready! It was nice to not be rushing around like a headless chicken!

Once we were ready we loaded the gifts up into the truck and headed to Cory's parents place. We were going to exchange gifts there and have dinner with them.

The afternoon was lovely. Genie did a great job with dinner and it was a really fun time had by all. It was also Cory's Grampa's 80th birthday on Christmas Day, so we sang "Happy Birthday" to him and Jesus and we had birthday cake from his party!

It had been a long but very fun and memorable day... we headed home and put our feet up for the rest of the evening!

Here's a few photos for ya:
Cory helping his Grandmother open her gifts

Last year I introduced the Christmas Crackers tradition and this year we even got everyone to wear their crowns! ;)

Yep - it's a crazy person infront of a pretty Christmas tree!
Our first Christmas as Mr & Mrs Cory Fast

0 comments: