Thursday 20 August 2009

Bachelor weekend... Valentines Day

We waited for what seemed like ages for our Bachelor weekend to come around... it was a great weekend...

We loaded up the truck on Friday morning, first thing and got on the road... we wanted to cram as much into the weekend as possible...

On Saturday while making breakfast I decided I was going to take a refresher lesson, it had been years and years since I had strapped into a board, I wanted to take it easy that first day... I ended up being the only person in my lesson, so it was basically a private lesson for 2.5 hours... Awesome!

By lunch time I had popped my knee and wanted to be done... I went to find Cory and the others for food and a rest! Now as I look back, this was the first time I really realised my health wasn't as it should be... I should have been able to spend all day up there on my board, but instead I was tired, my pulse was racing and I needed to take it easy!

Thankfully, everyone else decided they wanted to take it easy that day too... It was Valentines Day and we were going out for a nice dinner, so we decided to head back to our cabins and have a relaxing afternoon. I felt so guilty, even though everyone said they wanted to call it good early, I still felt like they were leaving early because of me... :( That night we went out for an awesome 'American tapas' dinner...

Feeling a little refreshed but still fairly aching and stiff Sunday was upon us, and another day on the slopes... I hoped it would be better, I didn't know why I was struggling so bad...

I decided to rent a board and boots for the day... Since I tore my ankle last fall, the set-up I had really wasn't helping, and it hurt both my knee and ankle to be strapped in...

It was much better! The board was awesome, I had more movement in my ankle and I didn't feel like I was going to damage my knee a million times over... I headed to the bunny slope to give it a try while the others did a quick run!

Yes!!! It did still feel better... So I headed up the ski lift with Cory and the others... YIKES!!!!!

I did ok, and after a couple of runs I was feeling more at ease with the board... As the runs progressed I was feeling more and more exhausted though, and my thighs burned like crazy!

The next run, as I was getting off the ski lift I don't even know what really happened, I hit some slick ice and I went down... Smacked the back of my head hard on the ice...

Right there and then I wanted to be done, I wanted to be at the bottom of the slopes, checking in my gear and heading to the truck..... but no! I was at the top of the run and still had to make it down!

Cory was awesome, he encouraged me down the slope and even though I felt bad that he wasn't able to just fly down the hill, he made me feel like he didn't mind... Like I was his priority and that we would get down there together!

Needless to say, that was my last run for the day... I decided to sit out the last run that Cory was going to make...

We checked in our things and headed back to the cabins... I was ready for a long, hot shower! I didn't know what was up with me, I wasn't that unfit... I shouldn't have had such a hard time...

As I look back now I should have realised that something was up... Graves was nagging away at me and I didn't even know it!

Fabulous weekend though and I am SO excited to snowboard a ton this winter!

Here's some pics:

Cory giving Travis some pointers...

Strapping up for the first run of the day...OUCH! My thighs burn!!!!
Too much turn in my left shoulder...

About to leave for our Valentines dinner...

0 comments: